Saturday, November 28, 2009

Lesson: Small Men


This Monday was my first kendo practice in like 7 months.
I was very happy to be back.

Jae Choi Sensei said that I need to work on my swing and footworks, so he went through several drills with me, one of which was striking small Men.

He said that since I'm 3 dan now, I should use advanced technique. He said that my Men was too big, so the opponent can easily see it and can block it. Indeed, I've been trying to use the "big Men" swing, which I learned since I was a beginner, during keiko. But, since my body couldn't follow my mind, I used right elbow for all my strikes -- thus creating a big shinai motion at slower speed but with much energy.

Jae Choi Sensei used the analogy of violin.
As a beginner, a player is taught to use big swing of the bow. But later, as the player's skills advance, he can use various techniques depending on the music/situation. When the music is fast, he shouldn't try to play it w/ big swings but should use wrists to play the fast notes.
So is kendo's swings -- depending on the situation, one must vary his technique.

Then, he made me to hit 3 Men strikes using my: 1) shoulders; 2) elbows; and 3) wrists.
He told me to feel and know the difference.

In striking small Men:

1. the center between your right hand and the left hand becomes the focal point.
2. as you move forward to strike, your right hand should lift up and left hand should push down (see the diagram indicated as "1" in blue). Also, when you raise the tip of your shinai, only lift up as much as needed for an efficient strike.
3. then, push down your right hand and pull up the left hand (see the diagram indicated as "2" in red).


[I remembered learning this long long time ago from the late-Hirata Sensei. Hirata Sensei also demonstrated this strike to me w/ his eyes closed, telling me that once you master this, it can be very effective and accurate.

I also remembered Yamaguchi Sensei once told me to be natural -- then he demonstrated to me but I can't really describe it. It was very naturally flowing Men strike.]

I came home and watched many slow motion videos of kendo tournaments, and indeed, all the kenshi were using that small Men -- their styles varied little by each player.

On Saturday's dojo dinner (for Yuji Sensei's passing of 6th dan), I had a discussion w/ Spencer Sensei, and he described striking small Men as "abbreviated version of big Men." He first showed me a big Men swing, then, to show the small Men swing, he raised his arms just a little up then hit Men (but overall motion didn't differ much).

Learning from all the Sensei and seeing the videos, it all seemed consistent to me. I should practice on this.

No comments: